Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A time for growth ...

As you all know, I am currently unemployed. This can be discouraging at times but I am trying to look at it as a time of enrichment. In addition to the time I spend each day looking for jobs I have a number of projects that keep my time a little structured and my life a little more interesting. Right now I am working on my knitting and my blog, repairing a vintage bicycle that I bought from the theatre's prop stock when it went belly up, and starting this years vegetable garden with some seeds I saved from last years plants. And after a mere 3 days, here is the progress on project number 3!


Now I took that picture yesterday morning and let me tell you they've grown even more since then. If you want nearly instant gardening satisfaction start some lettuce seeds 'cause they just take off like a shot. These seedlings are arugula on the bottom and red leaf lettuce on top. I clearly have WAY too many of them (I planted like a zillion because I didn't know how good the seeds would be and thought most of them might be duds) so some thinning will be in order. Unfortunately my red pepper and basil seeds are a little slower on the uptake but we'll check back in a week or so to see how they're doing.

I leave this afternoon for an interview in Milwaukee, WI. Wish me luck everyone!

No comments: