Thursday, April 24, 2008

On The Fly Ear Wamer - Free Pattern!

(Me, before coffee ... this is real bravery folks...)

It seems my ears are always getting cold here in Buffalo. The spring breeze can carry quite a chill and it makes my ears ache even when the rest of me is plenty warm. Somehow over the winter I lost my polar fleece ear warmer so I thought this was the perfect occasion to knit myself a new one and make it my first free pattern post!

This is a super simple, super fast knit: I designed and completed it in its entirety on a flight from Indianapolis to Buffalo (via Newark), hence the "On The Fly" title.

Yarn: Cascade 220 Quatro

Yardage: I'm guessing a bit but less than or equal to 50 yds (great for using up the last little bit of something!)

Needle size: US 8

Gauge: Again, I'm guessing (what kind of slacker pattern is this anyway...) but the finished object measures 3 1/2" wide by 22 1/2" in circumference (this used to say diameter ... it has been a while since 10th grade geometry) after blocking.

Begin by casting on 15 stitches.
Knit 8 rows in garter stitch (knit right and wrong side rows). I like to do this because it adds a little extra elasticity to the band.

Begin in pattern as follows:
Row 1- sl1, k1, k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk, yo, ssk, k1, sl1
Row 2- purl all stitches
Row 3 - sl1, k2, k2tog, yo, k5, yo, ssk, k2, sl1
Row 4- purl all stitches


Repeat rows 1-4 twenty two times
Repeat rows 1 and 2 once

Knit 8 rows in garter stitch.
Bind off.
Stitch ends together using mattress stitch.


I suppose it would be more elegant to use a provisional cast on and then join the two ends using kitchener stitch but, honestly, I was on a plane and it just goes under your hair so I didn't worry too much about it. :)

This pattern should be easy to adjust to different sizes, just measure your head and knit until the band is within 1 to 1/2 inch of that length. Remember the piece will grow a little in blocking.

I've included a chart and as soon as I figure out how to link to a download-able pdf I'll post that too.

Happy knitting! If anyone actually makes this be sure to leave a comment!

Thank you dear reader for pointing out my error in row three: the decrease should be ssk and the chart was correct. Text is now corrected to match.

16 comments:

O'chica said...

Made for my friend's daughter, for a "big-sister-to-be present" at baby shower, using leftover yarn of blanket for the baby.
I slipped only the first stitch of the odd-numbered rows, because it was easy to remember for me.

It was an easy and fun to knit. Thanks, Jen. I will make this whenever I got left with 1 oz. of worsted weight yarn.

Unknown said...

Great ear warmer! I'm going to try this as a Christmas gift for a friend's set of 3 girls.

Thanks for sharing the pattern!

On a Road Trip! said...

I can't wait to go home and try this pattern! I just made a scarf for my daughter and have enough yarn to make this ear warmer (she's in middle school, and way "too cool" for a hat)!!!

-Christine.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pattern... it is an easy one to remember, and goes up quickly... I think I want to make a scarf to match, and would be great for charities...

oh, in row 3, after the k5 and yo, is it supposed to be ssk, or k2tog?
patt says k2tog, but chart says ssk....

Anonymous said...

I just finished your ear warmer. It was sooo easy. I made it for my daughter-in-law for Christmas. It looks more stylish than any ohters I have seen. I think I will make a few more and keep them for myself. Thanks for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

How on earth did you get knitting needles onto a plane?!!!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to trying this. To get knitting needles onto a plane, make sure they're NOT metal. I have got plastic/ bamboo on with no trouble but have had metal ones confiscated. Knitting is a GREAT way to spend the time in airport lounges and on planes.

Anonymous said...

Just finished! I've had a link to the pattern in my bookmarks for quite a while but I just now had the time to do it. So cute! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I just found your headwarmer pattern, love it . Is this something that can be made and sold? Am a Senior Citizen and I do some hand knitting, crocheting and machine knitting of items and sell them in a non-profit center on consignment. Wanted to ask before infringing on something. thanks !

Jen said...

Thank you for your comment and for asking before making items to sell. It is fine with me if you want to sell handmade items from this pattern. Best of luck!

Elsa said...

I made this pattern last night for early morning fall/winter jogging. It's exactly what I needed and wanted. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I am making a poncho for my niece and am now thinking about making a matching headband to go with it. Love the fact that this doesnt look to difficult. :)

Moniq S. said...

It's a wonderful patter! Love it! I did it for my sister and all my cousins and almost all of my aunts XD They love it too!

Michelle said...

Love this pattern! This will be a great Christmas gift for my friends.

Anonymous said...

How can I purl the first stitch on row 2 if the last stitch on row 1 was a slip 1?

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the question above.
Figured it out. Thanks for a great pattern. Love it!