Monday, March 10, 2008

Eat Your Veggies part 1

So, here it is, un-blocked, un-seamed, collar-less ... my latest creation which I plan to call the Eat Your Veggies sweater.

Question for any knitters reading this: at what point does the creation of a piece stop being a modification of a pattern and become your own pattern?

Case in point: I started with the idea of a short sleeve, striped sweater. I then found and used two different patterns from Yarn Girl's Guide To Knitting Beyond the Basics to get an idea of sizing and proportion, etc. However, I used a significantly different gauge yarn from either pattern, therefore changing all the numbers. I combined the stripes from one with the sleeve style of the other, and plan to do a polo collar, which neither of the originals has.

My question is can I put this "pattern" up as my pattern? I certainly don't plan to sell the pattern so maybe this isn't that big of a deal but I'm curious. Also, I'm hoping that by posting a free pattern I'll gain blog readers who aren't already my family and friends (which may actually someday earn me money seeing as I have Google and Amazon ads placed on my site).

So, weigh in. I really want to know. Can I call this creation my pattern? Is it really just a modification of another, copyrighted pattern that is someone else's intellectual property upon which I would be infringing by posting the steps necessary to making this finished object? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

knitica said...

My vague understanding of copyright law is that it is the actual text of a pattern that you can copyright, not the idea, or shape of it. Knitting is a big dilemma for me, because how much of it is ever truly new and unique? Sweaters tend to be similar shapes, so do socks, hats, mittens, etc. I wouldn't worry if you just borrowed a generic sweater shape from another pattern. If it makes you feel guilty, don't publish it, if only a small twinge, maybe a free pattern? My site gets tons of hits now because of my one free pattern. As soon as I get that camera I bought on ebay I'll be able to post the second free pattern.

Did all your knitting arrive safely? I may not have packed enough projects for my time in DC.

Jen said...

My knitting (and clothes, toiletries, etc) all arrived safely. Whew! I think I also did not bring enough knitting and you know what that means ... trip to the LYS!!!

Unknown said...

I'm inclined to say by looking at the other patterns, you have done your research. You could say that you were inspired by "this pattern", where by you would be giving credit... but it seems like there are enough variations from either of the two patterns for it to be original. I can't help but wonder how many patterns have been altered, and turned into something else that already is out there. Oh, the world just got smaller!

Unknown said...

I LOVE your blog and I am SO SUPER EXCITED about the knitting pattern central site you sent me to! I'm so excited to get started on the patterns I saved on my computer but didn't feel confident enough to try! I can't wait to go yarn shopping with you!