Thursday, May 22, 2008

Reader Survey: What would you expect to pay?

So, I am preparing some items to sell at the Great Blue Heron music festival this summer and I need your feedback!

What might you expect to pay at a music festival for a hand-knit beverage carrier such as the one pictured here? It is sized to fit a commercial 16.9 water bottle, 24 oz soda bottle, 18 oz Nalgene bottle, or a can/bottle of beer. (Pretty universal). I'm making them out of various yarns but they're all 90%-100% wool, variegated colors, lightly felted. The festival is sort of hippie/Americana/roots music. I'm planning to make some other stuff too (a few hats, some other felted bags and coin purses, and sewn reusable fabric grocery bags) but I'm thinking this will be one of my core items.

Leave a comment with your thoughts! (If you are a knitter try to imagine that you couldn't/wouldn't just make one yourself ...)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For some reason, Eight to ten dollars seems to fit the bill. You could do it so that it is based on yarn price, or quantity that you get out of each skein, but that seems like an amount that I would pay, even though I knit. How worried are you about the strap stretching?

Jen said...

I've been carrying mine around Buffalo almost every day for a week and a half and hiking around Colorado all weekend and the strap is showing zero problems. I know that's not a hugely long time but the knitting the strap in 1/1 rib and the felting seems to create a pretty sturdy fabric. I have to say, after using mine I really like it. I hope others will too!