Sunday, March 15, 2009

GardenGate 2009

Spring-like temperatures have arrived here in central Indiana and my gardening projects are off to a great start! On Thursday, FH and I hit the local Lowe's to pick up some supplies.

On the agenda for this year are my old standbys: lettuce and peppers, both with seeds saved from last season. Since we're in a warmer climate now I decided to experiment a bit and sowed some of the lettuce indoors, some of it outside directly into a container of potting soil. The peppers will start indoors, of course, and I've started some extras in hopes that I can trade with co-workers and neighbors for a tomato or some compost.

We stopped by the Indianapolis Winter Farmers Market on Saturday morning to see what the Slow Foods heirloom seed sale had to offer. We were a little late so choices were somewhat limited but we picked up a packet of broccoli and a packet of pickling cucumber seeds to try.

In addition to veggies, this year I'm going to try for some flowers. I posted more about this on my other blog, but I am attempting to grow flowers for my June wedding (I am insane enough to be doing my own bouquets, boutonnieres, and a couple of assorted arrangments ... though we are not doing floral centerpieces.) I've got some calla lilies, ranunculus, anemones, sweet peas, and snap dragons in the works. Frankly I will be satisfied if they grow at all, so no worries if they don't bloom mid-June, but it would be so awesomely satisfying if I could use them for the wedding. I'm doing everything I can to weigh the odds in my favor (choosing a selection of flowers with bloom times from mid-May to early July so that an exceptionally cool or warm season won't screw me, staggering start times so that I have waves of developing plants), we will see.

Waiting for them all to grow is the worst!!! :P I am so impatient.

No comments: